Friday, July 13, 2012

July Sample Society

What is Sample Society? Sample Society is a monthly subscription service that is a partnership between Allure magazine and Beauty Bar. For $15 a month you get five deluxe sized samples and a one year subscription to Allure.  You also receive a $15 gift code towards the purchase of any of the brands in your box. It's nice that you have some flexibility and don't have to buy the exact product. You can also use your gift code multiple times. The booklet also includes some tips on how to use the products.

Sample Society June

  • Borghese Tono Body Lotion (Deluxe Sample. Full size retail $36.50 8.4oz) An extra-rich treatment creme that locks in hydration with moisture intensifying molecules. The body is veiled in invisible moisture, which becomes obvious in both the appearance and texture of the skin. Firms and smoothes skin tone.  I've been using this for a few days. It has a definite fragrance to it that I don't dislike but I don't care for either. I'd say it's what you expect for a lotion.
  • Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint  in Golden (Deluxe Sample. Full size retail $38 1.7 oz) Jouer Cosmetics Luminizing Moisture Tint SPF 20 evens out imperfections and fades the appearance of fine lines with its light-diffusing multi-mineral formula. This lightweight, water-resistant, hypoallergenic tint features SPF 20 to protect from UVA and UVB rays while ginseng and gingko biloba leaf extract deliver antioxidants to the skin, promoting a healthy complexion. Water-resistant, hypoallergenic and oil-free.  This was also in my Birchbox this month. I got my Sample Society box first. There's quite a disparity between the two. The Sample Society  size is much more generous. Unfortunately, Golden is too yellow for me. I've arranged to trade this over on MUT for a sample in Pearl. My tiny sample from Birchbox is also in Pearl. YAY. Jouer is also sending me some samples. I've definitely been favoring my Holika Holika BB lately but I'll give this moisture tint a try. Here's a picture showing the difference in the two sizes. 

  • vbeaute Eye Never Nourishing Repair Eye Cream (Deluxe Sample. Full size retail $85) VBeaute Eye Never is an age-defining, line concealing eye cream that immediately smooths and silkens the delicate skin around the eyes, minimizing the appearance of puffiness, lines and wrinkles. Formulated with the brand's powerful age-defying complexes, this eye cream boosts collagen production while protecting against free radical damage. At the same time, it helps increase moisture and relax muscle contractions to help prevent future signs of aging.  I've heard some people complain about the small size of this sample. Hello, it's an eye cream! How big are your eyes? I've gotten at least three days of morning and night time usage of this. I haven't really noticed any difference though.
  • Vincent Longo Duo Lip Pencil  in Lavender Lite and Grape (Full size. Retail value $26) This smudge-resistant pencil is easy to apply and long-lasting. The soft texture and rich pigment allow for precise definition and shaping. Full sized makeup product. YAY! But I really only use lip liner when I wear red lips. So I'll probably be putting this up for trade.
  • Sisley-Paris Hydra-Global Intense Anti-Aging Hydration (Deluxe Sample. Full size retail $250 1.4 oz) This formula uses botanical, mineral and aromatic extracts to replenish skin’s thirsty moisture cushion in the epidermis, dermis and stratum corneum layers of the skin. Skin is left intensely moisturized and revitalized, so that wrinkles and line lines are minimized and elasticity and youthful appearance are restored. Anti-aging aside, I live in the desert. So I'm all about products that are super hydrating. This has a slight fragrance to it that I don't really mind too much. I've been using at night since I use a BB during the day. I like it but I don't love it enough to go for the full size.
Even though there are a couple of products I'm not terribly jazzed about this month, Sample Society is definitely my favorite of my subscription boxes. I've definitely been introduced to products I never would have tried and the sizes are ample enough to really try a product out before making a purchase.  I don't mind investing in an expensive product if I know beforehand that it's going to work for me. 

4 comments:

  1. love, love, love, love, LOVE the name of your blog!

    I'm a new follower on GFC & Bloglovin from BlogLoveTherapy Blog Hop - stop by my blog and say hi :)
    http://superficialsydney.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a bit of a nod to all my goth years and my love of all things batty. ;)

      I'm following you now too. I LOVE your little stiletto rankings.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lori Ann! I am stopping by from the blog hop and I am so glad I did. I have never heard of Sample Society until today. I was a birchbox subscriber for a few months but cancelled. This is the perfect price, and the products look amazing, I love the jouer tinted moisturizer and the vbeaute was part of my glossybox this month! I am going to check it out, I'm following and look forward to your next post, would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm following you now as well. I really like Sample Society. I think the sizes are great and I've definitely found brands I never would have tried before. I also found I really enjoy reading Allure.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...