Saturday, February 4, 2012

Brush Cleaners

It's important to clean and condition your brushes for hygienic reasons and also to extend the life of your brushes.You should get in the habit of deep cleaning your brushes every two weeks or so to remove product build up and disinfect.  I've been experimenting with a couple of different brush cleaners to find out which one is my favorite.

The brush cleaner I've been using the longest is the Mac Brush Cleaner. It comes in 7.9 oz bottle for $13.00.  This cleaner works really well as a disinfectant and for deep cleaning. It cleans powder and liquid based products out of your brushes well. There is no obvious scent to it either.  The only problem I have with it is that my bottle leaks. So I typically pour some product in the cap and dip my brushes in it. Instead of trying to pour it out onto my brushes. Bat's Rating: 9

The Sonia Kashuk Brush and Sponge Cleanser comes in a 5.1 oz bottle. You can find it at Target for $6.99. I've found this the cleaner works alright on brushes with powder based products on them but not so much for brushes used for lipstick or concealer. I can't really detect a smell from it. The spray bottle makes application very easy. Bat's Rating: 7.5


MAC Brush Cleaner, e.l.f Daily Brush Cleaner, & Sonia Kashuk Brush & Sponge Cleaner


As a daily brush cleaner, I've been using the e.l.f. Daily Brush Cleaner. This comes in 8.5 oz spray bottle. It retails for $3.00.  You may be able to find this at Target. They do carry the Brush Shampoo.  This product is mostly designed to be used as a daily disinfectant. It does removes some product from the brush but does not fully clean. It works equally well on powder and liquid based products. There is a very pronounced scent to this product. It's a bit flowery and tropical with an underlying chemical hint. It reminds me of a beauty salon. I don't mind it too much but the scent does linger a bit. I wished it cleaned a little bit more and smelled a little bit less. Bat's Rating: 8






5 comments:

  1. I like using the Elf brush cleaner, I'm a bit naughty when it comes to cleaning brushes as I don't do it as regularly as I should.

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use the daily or the brush shampoo? I haven't tried the brush shampoo yet but for the price you can't really beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review! I'm going to look into the elf one!

    www.dianecristi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I found the Australian elf site I've been tossing up whether or not to try this... I might have to now :)

    I found you on the blog hop love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :)

      I like it as a spot cleaner. Whenever I run out of my MAC brush cleaner, I'm going to give the e.l.f. Brush Shampoo a whirl.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...