Sunday, August 26, 2012

August Sample Society


August Sample Society
Phyto Oil, Mail+Goetz, Jane Iredale Mascara,  Deborah Lippmann, Elemental Herbology, Arcona
  • Phyto Phtyonectar Oil Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail $30) The formula, rich in proteins, lipids, and vitamins from egg yolk, restructures ultra-dry hair while preventing oxidation with sunflower extract. Hair feels immediately replenished and its original softness and shine are restored.  My hair is not that dry but it hasn't been as soft as I would like it lately. You work this into your hair prior to shampooing and leave it in for 15 minutes. My hair was definitely softer and more vibrant after using this. I would consider buying the full size.
  • Jane Iredale Longest Lash Mascara, Black Ice Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail $33) Get come-hither eyes with Jane Iredale Longest Lash Mascara featuring a dual-purpose formula that conditions lashes while coating them for a look that is glamorous, rich and full. An extra large, tapered brush makes application easy, separating lashes with ease. This mascara didn't really add that much length to my lashes (they're fairly long to start) but it did give me more volume. Nicely pigmented. I did get slight raccoon-ing by the end of the day. This is common problem for me and mascaras. I think my bottom lashes are too long. :( This mascara was nice but I'm not sold on it.
  • Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Private Dancer (Full Size $18) Long-lasting nail lacquer created by celebrity manicurist to the stars. A variety of colors inspired by pop music. Fortified with biotin, okoume, and green tea. Free of: Toluene, formaldehyde, DBP, animal testing. I try to avoid spoilers for Sample Society since we all get the same box. I couldn't avoid hearing about this though. I'm not really into nail polish or nail art. I would certainly never spend $18 for one nail polish. This is a really interesting color.  I thought the formula was a bit thin. It took me three coats to get it really opaque. I've heard this applies better over a coat of black.


deborah Lippmann Private Dancer Swatch
Private Dancer


  • Elemental Herbology Skin Care Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail $46) Stimulates skin's metabolism to reveal a glowing complexion. Helps lessen unwanted pigmentation and balance skin tone. Purifies pores and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Exfoliates dead surface cells to promote new cell renewal. Orange peel, Tangerine and Papaya slough away dead skin cells. Sea salt and Kelp purify the pores and resolve congested areas. Macadamia, Olive and Argan oils infuse the skin with essential fatty acids and reduce inflammation.  I usually use the Ren Glycolactic Peel (also a Sample Society find) once a week but this week I gave this one a try. My skin felt great and really looked brighter the next morning. I should have enough left to get one more use out of it. I would consider purchasing this after I run out of the Ren.
  • Arcona Cranberry Toner Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail $32) This three-in-one formula tones and hydrates, while also infusing skin with protective antioxidants to leave your complexion looking and feeling refreshed. Antimicrobial cranberry, containing vitamins, phyto-nutrients and essential fatty acids, clarifies and protects. Removes dirt, oil and makeup. Cleanses and clarifies. Refreshes skin. Protects against free radical damage.  I only used this once. I did like the way it may my skin feel afterwards. However, this has a strong smell. It's definitely a love it or hate it smell too. I hated it and I could still smell it on my skin.
  • Malin + Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer Foil pack. Bonus item (Full Size Retail 4 fl. oz $45) A 
    superb blend of antioxidants, absorbent fatty acids and soothing chamomile. 
    Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. 
    Nourishes and hydrates. 
    Absorbs quickly.  This was an extra in this box not one of the five monthly items so I don't mind that it's a foil pack. I only got one use out of it but I did like the way my face felt afterwards. It is indeed light and absorbs quickly. I don't recall any strong fragrance either. I typically prefer a moisturizer with some SPF protection though.
Overall, I really like this box. Sample Society is still my current favorite. Since I did a run down on Birchbox, I thought it only fair that I do the same thing for Sample Society. I've been with Sample Society since they started in March. That's also the same length of time I've had Birchbox. 31 items over six months total cost $90.

I've liked or loved the majority of the items I've gotten from Sample Society. Sure it's more expensive but I seem to be getting more value out of it. 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...