Tuesday, August 28, 2012

First Beauty Army Kit

After the angst that was my August Birchbox Fail, I started considering other subscription services I hadn't really thought about before. Beauty Army is $12 monthly. You take a quiz and then get a selection of products. You can choose six from your selection. You can also go back and retake the quiz to try to get different items.  Not only do you get to choose your own samples but you can skip months as well. So I decided to give it a try. I'd have no one to blame if it sucked but myself. It didn't take that long for my kit to ship after I made my selection. Shipping was a bit weird though. It went from Ontario,CA up to Reno and then back down to Las Vegas.


August Beauty Army Kit
I only took the quiz a few times before I got six items I was interested in. One of my items leaked a little. Not horrible just enough to make the box a little gooey. I emailed customer service on a Friday afternoon and got a response that evening. They offered to add a seventh item in my kit next month. I'm cool with that. I've had a chance to use most of these and I have to pat myself on the back. Pretty much love everything.
  • Bath and Body Works Twilight Woods Shower 3 oz sample (Full Size Retail 10 oz $11) Bath & Body Works' exclusive formula is now enriched with Shea Butter for softer, cleaner skin in their bubbliest lather ever! Moisturizing Aloe Vera and skin-loving Vitamin E combine with the seductive scent of Twilight Woods to provide a lather that bursts with fragrance. Twilight Woods is a hypnotic fragrance inspired by a romantic walk in enchanted woods. Top Notes: Juicy Berry, Sparkling Mandarin, hint of Coconut. Mid Notes: Creamy Frangipani, Soft Mimosa, Wet Honeysuckle, Wild Freesia, Apricot Nectar.  I was out of shower gel so this was well timed. I like the scent. Other than that it does what a shower gel should.
  • Youngblood Mineral Primer Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail 1 fl oz $41) Youngblood’s Mineral Primer is the perfect all-over primer for flawless make-up application and skin rejuvenation. The light-weight, silky formula is packed with vitamins and minerals that smooth the appearance of fine lines and pores creating an even surface for foundation. This colourless base helps enhance the performance of makeup through the day while providing intense skin protection. Perfect for any skin type, with added benefits for mature skin, Youngblood’s Mineral Primer contains Youngblood’s signature mineral blend of Rhodolite, Zincite, Malachite and Hematite combined with Vitamins A & E for skin rejuvenation and antioxidant protection. The Primer is also free from talc, perfumes and chemical dyes while being non-comodogenic and cruelty free. I'm always interested in trying new primers. This is a silicone based primer and I find it comparable to others in that category like Smashbox or Palladio. It has no discernible scent which is always a plus in my book. This didn't feel oily or heavy on my skin and did extend the wear of my foundation. 
  • ATZEN Protective Day Cream Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail 1.7 fl oz $79) Protection from pollutants for radiant & supple skin. Reverses signs of aging & sensitivity; provides 24 hours of hydration. I haven't had a chance to try this product yet. At $79 for the full size I hope I don't fall in love!
  • Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail 4.2oz $39.95) M
  • acadamia Natural Oil's Healing Oil Treatment is a therapeutic hair oil perfect for all hair types and is especially beneficial to dry, damaged hair.
  •  
  • Intense nourishment for tangle & frizz free hair. H
  • air that is ultra-smooth, manageable & shiny.
  • Natural UV protection extends the life of color treatments.
  •  
  • Reduced drying time by an amazing 40-50%.
  •  
  • Alcohol-free. Speaking of love. I LOVE this hair oil. It smells divine and my hair was soft and shiny after using it. I live in the desert so increased drying time is not so much an issue. I'm debating whether to buy this or the Phyto Oil from my August Sample Society box. Right now I think this is in the lead. The sample size is a generous 1oz. I should have enough for even my mass of hair for awhile. The 1oz sample sells on the Macadamia Hair website for $13.50. So in one item I've already recouped my kit cost.
  •   
  • Besame Cosmetics Crimson Cream Rouge Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail .26oz $22) 
  •  For instant rosy cheeks and lips there is nothing more timeless than our vintage inspired cream rouge. Just a touch of this concentrated cream will give you a natural flush, just like the very first time you were kissed! Feels weightless and blends beautifully with any skin tone. I haven't had a chance to really try this out yet either. I'm a fan of cream blushes in general though. I'll be performing a 1940s Golden Era belly dance piece in a few weeks. I think I'll be using this blush for that vintage look. Update: Tried this last night i my 1940s test run. It's a bit dry but definitely gives that vintage glow.
  • Delizioso Skincare Mangosteen & Acai Super Anti-Aging Facial Cream Deluxe Sample (Full Size Retail 1 oz $58) 100% Natural Mangosteen & Acai extracts along with Alpha Hydroxy Acids use a potent anti-aging system of antioxidants to perfect dull skin. Organic oils nourish while aloe and pure juices of cucumber and blueberry rehydrate. As you apply the moisturizer Vita Burst Beads infused with a potent dose of Vitamin E, Acai, and Mangosteen pop and start to act immediately. This technology helps keep the potent ingredients at their very peak of action. This was the leaky culprit in my kit. I've been using this as my night time moisturizer and I love it. My skin looks so bright and refreshed in the morning. Normally, I don't like products with a heavy scent but this smells like Duncan Hines Confetti Cake mix. Yum!
So I'm really happy with my first Beauty Army kit and I'm really looking forward to next month!

*grumble I keep fixing the formatting of this post and it keeps reverting back.*
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...