Saturday, March 24, 2012

My First Birchbox

After being on the waiting list about a month, I finally got my first Birchbox,  Birchbox is considered to be the original monthly beauty sample service and by many it is considered the best. A monthly subscription is $10 a month.  I received Box #19.
March Birchbox #19

  • AHAVA Essential Day Moisturizer - Normal to Dry Skin I used this moisturizer for a few days but even though it claims to sink right in making it safe to wear under makeup, my makeup definitely didn't last nearly as long as it does with my usual moisturizer. I've been using it before going to bed. I also wish it were unscented. I've also yet to be wowed by any moisturizer.
  • Kusmi Tea Paris - I Love My Detox Tea Since I quit drinking coffee, I drink green tea every day. I enjoyed this tea but the lemongrass is just a touch too dominant for me to drink this every day. I actually love the "lifestyle" category of samples.
  • Supergoop!Sunscreen Swipes I know some of you may faint when I say this but I don't wear sunscreen on a daily basis. I might see 15 minutes of sunlight on a good day and most of that time I'm in my car.  Not only that but a couple of years ago my doctor told me I was severely Vitamin D deficient. So I try to get at least a few minutes of exposure a day so I don't have to take Vitamin D daily. Now if I know I'm going to be out in the sunlight for any length of time, no one is more vigilant about sunscreen. I burn and I burn quickly. I like these because I can throw these in my bag in case of unexpected sun exposure and be ready to go.
  • Color Club Neon Nail Polish  in Peace out Purple I know neon colors are all the rage this season. I'm just not a neon colors kind of girl. I might wear something this bright on my toenails but not on my fingernails.  Wouldn't mind trading for Jackie-Oh! or Mrs. Robinson. 
  • Kérastase Elixir Ultime Can be used on wet or dry hair. I didn't notice much difference when I massaged it into my hair after washing it.  I noticed a slight difference using it dry. It definitely helps tame some frizziness too. My hair is freshly colored so it's hard to tell if this is really adding any shine. I do love that sample has a tiny little pump dispenser. Genius!  Not sold on the scent yet. I'm 50/50 on it.
  • Harvey Prince Yogini - I'm in the market for a new fragrance so I'm actually seeking out perfume samples. This reminds of DKNY Pure which I've been testing for the last few weeks. I actually like it.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with my first box. I just wish shipping to the west coast didn't take FOREVER. I also love the reward points system on Birchbox. You get 1 point for every dollar you spend either in the store or for your subscription. You can also get 10 points for leaving feedback for the items in your box. It's really a quick and easy way to start racking up the points. I love that whatever is in your box is available for sale in their store. If you find a product you love, you don't have to scour the internet for it. I will definitely be keeping Birchbox for awhile.

10 comments:

  1. Nice! I had no idea the boxes were numbered like that, but after a little poking around I see that I got box #6! We have the tea and nail polish in common- but I got the bright orange "Lava Lamp". It's pretty much the color of a traffic cone, a sort of red-based orange. My friends dig it more than I do, but I like how opaque the formula is after 2 coats. I'd also go for the "Jackie Oh!" color, and may actually order it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may give the purple a try on my toenails since the formula is nice. I'm really starting to like this perfume. That may be my purchase.

      Delete
  2. I have been reading so much about these little boxes and I think its about time I get a subscription. I love your blog by the way(:


    http://www.enlapink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading. Be warned that subscription services at first are really addictive. I'm starting to cancel some of mine. I think it's going to be down to Birchbox and Sample Society. There is s Birchbox waiting list. It took me about a month to get an email with an invite and then they give you 48 hours to think about it. Go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get Birchbox in the UK so I subscribe to Glossy Box which I think is just being launched in the US aswell at the moment, I've had two boxes so far and one has been a bit disappointing and the other was great so I'm still undecided whether to keep my subscription. Lovely blog by the way! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get it on the Glossybox release here in the US. Keeping my fingers crossed.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you liked your first box! I have had a few duds (had BB for almost a year) but I am usually pretty happy. The points make up for any products I haven't liked. I am also SO addicted to sample boxes...I need to cut down, too! I tagged you in the getting to know me post as well :)

    http://ladybrittbeauty.blogspot.com/2012/03/get-to-know-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cutting down my subs as well. Cancelled MyGlam and BeautyBox5. Right now I'm just keeping BirchBox and Sample Society. I'm going to try Loe with Food and Conscious Box.

      Delete
  6. Hi! Found your blog from the Makeup Geek forums, hope you don't mind!

    Following you now and would love it if you could follow me back too!

    ♥ Duckie.

    http://frikkenduckie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'm now following you as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...